Re: Bluebirds taking over and other Victorian stuff.

David \"The Doctor\" Proctor (daproc.remove.spambait@bigfoot.com) wrote:
> I still reckon they should electrify to Geelong - the Sprinters displaced
> from Geelong services would be more than adequate for Warragul and Stony
> Point services (although then they would have to build more electric rolling
> stock - NAH - will NEVER happen!)

Sprinters would be wasted on the Stony Point line. The line speed is only
100km/h, and they don't have terrific acceleration for the stop-start
running between closely spaced stations.

On the subject of electrification, would the benefits really outweigh the
capital costs? It might cost $50 million, not including new EMUs, for
minimal benefits. For the same money you could upgrade a lot more track to
allow 160km/h running (130km/h for a pass and 110km/h for freights).

Cheers
David