Re: How many NR locos are now written of?

In article <363c287f.40165243@news.ocean.com.au> pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown) writes:
>From: pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown)
>Subject: Re: How many NR locos are now written of?
>Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 09:24:28 GMT

>mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote in aus.rail:

>>Given that NR knew that they would inherit a substantial number of existing
>>locos from the old AN, PTC and SRA as the shareholders agreement required
>>its difficult to see why so many new ones were needed to handle the current
>>freight task , even if one assumes that NR retained its monopoly on
>>Interstate freight , which was never guaranteed.
>>
>What was it that NR inherited? Better still what was the average age
>of the locos they inherited? 20-30 years old wasn't it?

Absolutely incorrect.
NRC didnt inherit 80s or Cs or any of these old locos.
True they were used in the early days of the formation of NRC , but never
identified as required to be transferred to NRC as part of the shareholders
agreement.
NRC inherited a bunch or relatively modern locos, including ANs,
BLs, DLs , Gs , 81s and ELs if they had wanted them, which they didnt.
The oldest of these locos is the 81s which are about 15 years old.
Mt initial post was basically about the total number of relatively modern
locos which NRC has ended up with , not what it started with , and why it
needs so many, around 174 modern locos .
My basic question  which sofar no one has answered, is why do you need 174
modern locos to shift 10 million tonnes annually.

cheers
MD