Re: Alternatively powered train

At the point in the space/time continuum known as 20 Oct 1998 17:53:00 GMT,
the state of the universe as viewed by martin@kleist.agnld.uni-potsdam.de
(Jan-Martin Hertzsch) was thus:

>Rob (umar@world.std.com) wrote:
>
>: I read a few months ago in the Boston _Globe_ a story about a father and
>: son who built a four-wheeled "bicycle" to run on rails. ...
>
>: I'd love to see a railroad make out-of-service track available for this
>: sort of traffic; it would give a whole new meaning to the phrase,
>: "rail-trail".
>
>(a few non-railway groups removed from the distribution list)
>
>You can find this in some places in Europe, in particular in Sweden,
>but also in Denmark, Belgium, and Germany. There you can rent a
>"rail-bike" or "trolley", usually a three-wheeled vehicle with a
>seat for the driver and a platform for the backpacks and a second
>person, sometimes there are also tandems.
>
>In former times, rail-bikes were used e.g. for inspections of
>the lines, and some of these old vehicles are still left, too.
>There are even some clubs who maintain them and who meet from
>time to time to try them out.

I believe there is one of these clubs in Oregon that occasionally (or at
least once) arranges with the local railroad (Port of Tillamook Bay?) to
use their line on a particular day. Without such permission, the practice
is of course illegal and stupid since a train can come any time, no longer
how rusty the rails are or how long it's been since there was a train last.

David Streeter
--
opinions expressed are probably not those of
Little "Q" Model Railroad Club