Re: Alternatively powered train

At the point in the space/time continuum known as Tue, 20 Oct 1998 01:51:59
GMT, the state of the universe as viewed by John Wilson
<wilsonjohn@home.com> was thus:

>a New York Central third-rail electric / battery locomotive for
>switching on the West Side Line in New York City, where the batteries
>allowed it to go off the main tracks on sidings with no third rail.

Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee also had units like this, for spurs with no
overhead wire. From what I've heard, even with a full charge on the
batteries, they had a very short range. (I wonder how they'd do with modern
battery technology...)

David Streeter
--
opinions expressed are probably not those of
Little "Q" Model Railroad Club