Re: rail gauges

>My sons friend is doing a school project and needs some information. Can
>anyone tell me the current  track distances (Kilometers) of the three rail
>gauges in Australia.

I presume you are talking about 3'6", 4'8 1/2" and 5'3".  As a narrow
gauge personage, it would be remiss of me not to suggest that the 2'
lines in Queensland carry more traffic than the decimated broad gauge
network in the south-east of Australia.  You should be asking for this
information for the four major gauges used in Australia.

There are other gauges too, of course, but nothing significant.

The fact sheet at
http://www.freightcorp.com.au/fctsheet/fctsheet/fact1/Fact1.htm
gives you a little information, but not the breakdown you require.

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html