Re: Timings for Adelaide to Melbourne (was GSR's new Brochure)

David Johnson (trainman@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>David Bromage wrote:
>
>> An 8pm departure for an overnight service is quite good. On a 13 hour
>> schedule the arrival time is not necessarily convenient (e.g. the Southern
>> Aurora). Keeping the same schedule but advanving the departure time is not
>> necessarily convenient either. Personally I think any time after 6am is a
>> suitable arrival time for an overnight service. The overnight XPTs to/from
>> Melbourne are a good example, as was the Vinelander.
>
>What about the Brisbane XPT during daylight savings?  A 16:25 departure from
>Sydney with an 05:00 arrival, and an 04:00 wake-up call to tell you the buffet
>will be closing shortly.

I know that one is a problem, mainly due to Queensland politics. I don't
think it can be solved without more XPTs. You could push back the arrival,
to 7am local time, but the return working wouldn't be getting into Sydney
until almost midnight.

Cheers
David