Re: Timings for Adelaide to Melbourne (was GSR's new Brochure)

Eddie Oliver (eddie.oliver@efs.mq.edu.au) wrote:
>It seems to me that much of the agony about reducing running times for
>overnight services Melbourne - Adelaide is misguided. Shortening the
>running times just means that the departure and/or arrival times are
>shifted into zones which people find uncomfortable.

An 8pm departure for an overnight service is quite good. On a 13 hour
schedule the arrival time is not necessarily convenient (e.g. the Southern
Aurora). Keeping the same schedule but advanving the departure time is not
necessarily convenient either. Personally I think any time after 6am is a
suitable arrival time for an overnight service. The overnight XPTs to/from
Melbourne are a good example, as was the Vinelander.

I think 19.15 is a bit early to be departing Adelaide. 20.30 would be
better, with about a 7.00 arrival in Melbourne. Allowing for the time zone
difference, this means a 10 hour journey, which for 800km is not
unreasonable. Going the other way, the Melbourne departure should be about
21.30 with a 7.00 arrival in Adelaide.

If this is possible, then a daylight service along the same timings may
also be possible using the same set of cars (sleepers excluded in
daylight).

Melbourne   9.00   21.00
Adelaide   18.30    6.30

Adelaide    8.30   20.30
Melbourne  19.00    7.00

In each case there is time to shunt the sleepers on or off, and change
motorail wagons over.

Cheers
David