Re: Eight Car XPT sets on Brisbane XPT

Craig Haber (albatross@harnessnet.com.au) wrote:
>David Bromage wrote:
>> The B in XBR also means first class. I suppose it would make sense to
>> refurbish the XBs with the standard economy seating arrangement and recode
>> them XF.
>
>How does 'B' denote First Class?  And as I understand, 'F' denotes
>economy class?
>
>One (or few) things we did get right in Victoria are carriage
>classifications.  A for first, B for economy, C for guards/connies van,
>D for Van, then S for Steel or Spirit car, Z for Z type car, N for N
>type car, M for Railmotor trailer,

RM for railmotor, MT for trailer. The Victorian coding was also applied to
V&SAR Joint Stock, but the NSW coding was applied to N&NSWGR JS and VR
stock on sg.

BG code    SG code
BS         VFS, VFX, VFR
AZ         VBK
BZ         VFK
AW         VBW
BW         VFW
SS         VAM
SZ         VAC (sitting/sleeping composite car)
Buffet     VRS
CS         VHN
CE         VHE

QR and TGR also used A for first and B for second class. QR used V for
guards accomodation ("van") and L for lavatory.

>R for refreshments etc etc.  Can
>someone please explain the NSW method to me, because it confuses hell
>out of me!

It appears to be fairly arbitrary.

Cheers
David