Performance of XP Power cars.

I guess we are getting used to the fact that XP power cars are dying on a more
and more frequent basis these days , and the inevitable delays and late
arrivals that such failures cause.
A friend of mine travelled to melb a few weeks ago on the XPT and no surprise
, the rear power car died south of Albury on its way to Melb.
After stuffing around for about 10 mins the train proceeded on its way at
reduced speed and arrived in Melb 1 1/2 hours late. (ie 4 1/2 hours Albury to
Melb.)
No big deal s here except when you think about this situation for a
while it doesnt make any sense.
A 7 car XPT set with 1 dead power car represents a trailing load of 430 tonnes
with a supposedly 2000 HP loco.
Under such conditions it should easily still be able to make Albury - Melb in
well under 4 hours , considering in the past that the old Aurora hauled by
just 1 S class (usually S 317) and up to 800 tonnes did the same journey every
day for years in 4 hours, in fact B60 with 650 tonnes did the same journey in
4 hours.
Is there some additional derating of the XP power cars required when 1 dies ,
and why,or are these power cars not really 2000 HP.

cheers
MD