Re: Performance of XP Power cars.

Maurie Daly wrote:

> Is there some additional derating of the XP power cars required when 1 dies ,
> and why,or are these power cars not really 2000 HP.

1) Were you using the dead weight, or the live weight of the deceased power car?
(You have the added resistance of the traction motors in the rear power car.)

2) You can take away something like 200 horsepower from the power car when it is
being used as the power supply for lights and air-conditioning.  I remember on 1
occasion when I was on NT23 to Tamworth, and one power car died in 40+ degree
heat, so we turned off all air-conditioning and lights between Murrurundi and
Ardglen, just so we had a fighting chance of making it up the hill without the
assistance of the 3 35 class bank engines.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard