Re: 3820

David Bromage wrote:

> My personal preference would be to use bits of 3813 to get 3820
> operational, although there would be factional problems between various
> societies about this.

All the groups with 3813 bits have been discussing the options for some
time. An agreement has been reached which will see all parts of 3813 go
to Dorrigo for static restoration.

> As a longer term project, it would be nice to see
> locomotive no. 1 running again in 2005 for the 150th anneversary.

To get No 1 running would require a new boiler (its cristalised), a new
frame (its bent) and new wheels and axles (cracked). The braking system
(what little there is of it) would not pass accreditation, nor would the
safeties. By the time the locomotive had been restored, the only
original parts would be builders plates and the whistle cord. A replica
would be a more practical option.

Trevor