Re: Emergency Braking Was: Re: Beresfield Accident Findings

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<<Loaded, 100 and 120 tonnes per truck.>>>>>>
>
> So NSW is running 30 ton/tonne axle loads? Wow, thats a bit of a change from
> years past! US railroads have maxed out around 120 tons with 136 pound rail.
> NSW must have spent some big bucks on track in the last few years!
>
> Tell me more please, rail weight, where these 120 ton cars can run, that sort
> of thing.

The above answer is specific to the NSW Hunter Valley Coal Road where we run
wagons with a 30T axle load and 165T locomotives (90 class) with 27.5T axle
loads. These trains run from mine to port on a loop to loop system and these
trains never go off this system . The only exception is when a 90 class goes to
Delec for a wheel turn or as we say "wheel lathe attention". In this case we
drain the locos fuel to just 2000 litres to reduce the weight and it is only
permitted to run to Sydney light engine at a maximum of 40 kph. Because of the
restrictions imposed by perway for this movement these transfers always happen at
night usually the engine away from Kooragang late on Friday evenings arriving at
Delec for a day work shift to machine the wheels on Saturday. The return working
is on Saturday or Sunday evening depending on the delays at the lathe.
Bob