Re: Emergency Braking Was: Re: Beresfield Accident Findings

MarkBau1 wrote in message
<1998050318480600.OAA11656@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
><<<<<<<<>The longest coal train run in NSW was 105 wagons, comprising of
only
>15 auto-couplers.  We ran it at 80 km/h and threw it into emergency.  The
>stopping distance was 1 km (half a train length) when empty, and nothing
>derailed.

>Well I should certainly hope nothing derailed! especially with such a small
>amount of slack. (Sorry to tell you but 105 coal cars is not a long train!)

It is in NSW.

>You miss the point entirely! As trains get longer the derailment potential
>increases.

Our coal trains are from 32 to 81 trucks (are they running 90 now?) and I've
never heard of a derailment or damage due to emergency braking.

(BTW what is the weight of one of these NSW coal cars? Any where
>close to 120 tons per car?)

Loaded, 100 and 120 tonnes per truck.

>The bottom line here is that no one is going to put trip gear on freight
trains

THen one day............

>so you better come up with something else, namely, NSW making sure their
crews
>are rested and alert.

They won't make sure, they'll just make sure they've got something to
present to the coroner's court to say they did something.