Re: Emergency Braking Was: Re: Beresfield Accident Findings

<<<<<<<<>The longest coal train run in NSW was 105 wagons, comprising of only
15
>auto-couplers.  We ran it at 80 km/h and threw it into emergency.  The
stopping
>distance was 1 km (half a train length) when empty, and nothing
derailed.>>>>>>>>

Well I should certainly hope nothing derailed! especially with such a small
amount of slack. (Sorry to tell you but 105 coal cars is not a long train!) You
miss the point entirely! As trains get longer the derailment potential
increases. (BTW what is the weight of one of these NSW coal cars? Any where
close to 120 tons per car?)

The bottom line here is that no one is going to put trip gear on freight trains
so you better come up with something else, namely, NSW making sure their crews
are rested and alert.

Mark.

THE ROCK is dead
Long live THE ROCK!