Re: ABC News and the Overland >> the end is nigh.!

Stuart Thyer wrote:
> GSR is more than likely putting the squeeze on the powers that be to drop
> their charges or lift their services, so they can run faster and attract
> more passengers.

There's a 1/2 page ad in the Melbourne Herald Sun today (Tues 31/1) from
Great Southern:

We're here for the long haul.
{picture in here}
Contrary to recent reports, GSR is not planning to cut The Overland
train service between Melbourne and Adelaide.
Quite the opposite: our plan is to upgrade the service as part of our
plan for growth.  In fact, the only cut being considered is the length
of time it takes to complete the journey.

Changes made to all GSR services further demonstrate our commitment.

For example, we've made The Ghan a twice-a-week service instead of
once-a-week.

IN addition, we've made a huge commitment to staff training and the
improvement of on-train services generally.

In short, GSR's objectvie is not simply to maintain existing services,
but to improve and extend them wherever possible.  For more information,
call 13 21 47

<end of ad>
BTW, check out the picture!  A stretch of 'straight' track - timber
sleepers, weeds, no ballast, dreadful surface and alignment, obviously
it's a snap of the SG in Western Victoria :)  Actually I'm not sure if
it's just the printing, but the rails seem to pulled up beyond the
middle-distance of the picture!

If GSR's campaigning helps get the track upgraded, then good luck to
them, becuase that would benefit all interstate rail operators.

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber