CityRail 'K' set carriages

I am trying to organise a campaign to retrofit air-conditioning equipment to
the remaining 'K' set carriages.

The 'K' sets were constructed in three batches. The first batch
(C3501-04/D4096-99) consisted of 8 carriages, 4 driving motors and 4 driving
trailers, and were delivered with air-conditioning units fitted.

The second series (C3505-50/T4171-4216) were ordered with forced
air-ventilation equipment, with the ability to fit air-conditioning equipment
at a later date if required. During construction, the order was amended to
provide for the last two carriages (C3550/T4216) to be fitted with the
air-conditioning units. This was to provide 10 air-conditioned carriages,
thereby enabling an 8-car set to be worked with 2-cars spare.

The third series (C3551-80/T4217-46) are identifiable by their yellow
interiors. These cars were also ordered and delivered with forced air
ventilation equipment, with provision being made for later fitting of
air-conditioning. These carriages were later utilised on Central Coast and
Illawarra services, and were fitted with air-conditioning for this purpose.

Several of the second series carriages have recently passed through the
CityDecker refurbishment program, and have emerged with a nice new coat of
paint on the walls, nice new vinyl seats, new hopper windows and nice new
flooring. This makes the carriages look good, but does absolutely nothing to
make the carriage more comfortable. The test that is used in the airline
industry to gauge the effectiveness of refurbishments is known as the
"blind-mans test" - would a blind person notice the difference. In a
refurbished 'K' set (or ANY CityDecker train for that matter) the answer is
no.

Yet CityRail have seemingly ignored the single most effective improvement that
can be made to these carriages - the fitting of air-conditioning. Given
Sydney's climate (which compared with other cities is relatively bening, but
still gets some scorchers) I would have thought that the provision of
air-conditioning, where possible to do so, would have been a priority. Despite
repeated letters from me, CityRail has been unable to justify its
non-inclusion, other than to say "we do not believe it to be cost-effective".

I would urge any of aus.rail 's readers from Sydney (and anywhere else for
that matter) to write to their Sector Manager and the General Manager of Stae
Rail to urge that CityRail reassess their decision in this matter. I have
already written, and have cc'd the letter to the Minister for Transport
(although I imagine it will just end up in the bin - might try the Shadow
Minister for Photo Ops - oops, Mr Photios). The opportunity to get an extra 90
air-conditioned carriages is too good to let pass.

Regards,

David "The Doctor" Proctor
daproc@bigfoot.com