Re: Tilt train to Gembrook

J Richmond (richmond@melbpc.org.au) wrote:
>5)    I don't know much about the engineering side of the line, but I don't
>know if the tracks could stand much more than the 32k/h line speed!!

It's the curves and gradients preventing higher speeds more than the state
of the track. On the relatively straight Whitfield line, the NAs used to
get up to 40mph on some stretches. IIRC, the longest section of straight
track on the Gembrook line was 400 metres!

>6)    The heritage committee would never allow it!!

Neither would the government. I invite people who keep suggesting
"commuter" services on PBR to read the Emerald Tourist Railway Act.

Cheers
David