Re: two faces of CHTR

I am writing this as an outsider (being a member of *neither* group)
on the assumption that the antagonists' emails have been accurately
quoted and copied.

I am staggered that a "responsible" group such as the Board of a
Tourist Railway would sanction what appears to me to the publication
of a bald-faced lie on their web site.  It seems to me that ATubbs'
initial reply to SThyer was the correct, ethical and responsible
approach to take.  If the Board then overruled AT's proposed course of
action and instead chose to authorise the publication of a lie, I can
only surmise that the Board meeting at which such an irresponsible
motion was passed must have been well "lubricated".  I can think of no
other reason that a group of intelligent adults would have such an
appalling lapse of taste.   I admit I didn't have as much of a problem
with this until it was published that the Board was the "responsible"
party, not a lone individual..  This fact,  and the fact that one
group is belittling another on their web site are the core issues.

Usenet groups are for information, entertainment and, dare I say it,
flaming (just look at the submission from MarkBau1<g!>).

On the other hand, web sites are an organisation's front desk, the
world's window on their activities, a source of hopefully accurate,
up-to-date information.  A web site is an inappropriate place for the
cut & thrust and ebb & flow of emotions and opinions that flow through
the Usenet.  I don't browse web sites for entertainment, almost always
for specific information.   A member of the public reading this web
site is being mislead, not entertained and certainly not accurately
informed.  A member of the public reading this Newsgroup is getting
both sides of the argument.

On this one, AT, you and your Board are wrong.  The correct course of
action now is to gracefully apologise for your lapse of good taste and
maturity, put the DERM photo back with appropriate acknowledgement to
SRV, and get on with the serious business of preservation.  If you
want to have a go at other Preservation Groups, do it here in the
Newsgroup, not on the web site.

Oh, one last thing.... serve only coffee at your next Board meeting.

Yuri Sos
Melbourne