Re: National Rail Workings Gs & BLs

nswsrca@ozemail.com.au (Peter Neve) wrote in part:
>4.	Finally, there could be another motive power change for the
>Indian within NSW (and South Australia).   It seems that the NR on an
>eastbound service last week failed en route to Broken Hill and it took
>nine hurs to get a replacement engine from Port Pirie.   The whisper
>is, and it is an unconfirmed report only at this stage, that it could
>become double DL class.  Certainly, two NR class would be total
>overkill - one NR looses time on the Mountains.

Nah ......I do not believe it Peter, the NR's can not
break down, they have Satellite Communications and all
sorts of high tech wizardry including a CD player.!

CR-ANR-AN were great proponents of the single loco on
pass trains, _BIG_ difference though, they had trains
in the "near" vicinity with multiple loco's that could
be despatched to do a rescue.
When you do not have the means close at hand to keep
them moving, well it's tough titty to the fare payers.

It's called, RISK MANAGEMENT these days.!
Problem is, in these times there is a penalty, just ask
the people who lost their electricity supply recently,
the politicians and managers are still rushing around
looking for somebody to hang the blame on.

----Tell
Alice Springs NT