Re: National Rail Workings Gs & BLs

nswsrca@ozemail.com.au (Peter Neve) wrote:

>evening at 1820, doubling with BL32 and an NR.   There is a
>possiblility only of it being a quad with G522 added.   This will be
>the last visit of these G class to Sydney, as apparently they are being
>transferred to BROAD gauge.   (Anyone know why, please?!  My report
>was for a repaint - to NR colours, but why on broad gauge?)

>BL class off the Adelaide-Melbourne corridor are being
>transferred to the Sydney run to replace the G class.   BL30 returned
>south on SM5 tonight.   BL32 due into Sydney on 5MS4 on Friday
>morning, 0627 into Trackfast.

It's been a plan of NR's to convert four BL to Broad Gauge this month
to run the Long Island Steel trains here in Melbourne, in fact
BL26/27/28/30 were the locos mentioned to be converted.  Perhaps
they've decided to convert their Gs back to BG instead to simplify
servicing (I imagine by V/Line and gain efficiency by not introducing
another class of loco - and yes BLs are similar to Gs).

Also, the  Gs are in better shape than BLs (Gs still lead some NR
trains, BLs don't - no airconditioning for one thing).

Regards

Yuri