Re: City Rail barriers often wide-open

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Geoff Lambert wrote:

>> At CityRail stations, periodically and sometimes chronically, the
>> passenger barriers are out of service, allowing unchecked ingress and
>> egress.
>>
>> Why is this so?

>Staff Shortage.  The barriers must be manned whilever they are operating.  As
>soon as the operator has to leave for any reason, they will open all the gates.

Really?

On several of the occasions I mentioned, I didn't notice that the
barriers were open and couldn't nut out why my ticket wasn't accepted
in the slot until the attendant, who was standing nearby, tapped me on
the shoulder or spoke to me or waved me through.

Who was he, then?

There were certainly about 5 staff people standing around the
Devonshire St barriers on Monday night.  Is this a demarcation thing,
then?

Of course, the fact that AUTOMATIC barriers are turned off because
there's no STAFF poses rather a a conundrum about the concept and the
apparently-stated need for auto-ticketing in the first place.... the
auto ticketss don't save staff and, if the staff isn't available, they
are free.  Sounds like Catch 22 to me.

In any event, does anyone have a handle on the answer to the principal
question raised at the start of this thread.... how much does all this
cost in lost revenues?

Geoff Lambert