Re: Glenbrook Accident

Dion Williams <dion5@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<350DC5C7.3D60@hotmail.com>...
> Not to dwell too much more on Australian rail's darker moments but...
>
> There was an accident at Glenbrook around 1976 involving a collision
> between a double-deck interurban and a 46 that led to some controversy
> over NSW rail safety standards. Does anyone have any details on the
> accident and were there any repercussions from it that might have had
> some relevance to the Granville disaster?
>
> Dion Williams <dion5@hotmail.com>

I think this accident had more parallels with the 3801 Cowan Bank accident
than Granville.  The track condition was not a factor.  Like 3801, the
train had stalled on a significant grade.  Even though the electric train
had failed, through poor maintenance or for any other reason, the following
train should not have rammed into it.  My now somewhat hazy recollection of
the accident recalls that some blame was put on the crew of the diesel
loco.

When clearing the track, the severely damaged car body of the last car was
tipped over the cliff into the Glenbrook Gorge - whether this was
accidental or deliberate I don't know.  Some time later (I think it was
weeks), the body was cut into two sections and removed by a heavy lift twin
rotor chopper.

I can also recall a much earlier accident in the 1950s in the vicinity of
Glenbrook, I think it was between Glenbrook and Blaxland, in steam days
where the "Fish" was involved.  One train ran into the back of another,
anyone like to post some details of this accident?

David Bennetts
Canberra