Re: To :Great Southern Rail Management.

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>On a slightly differant but related issue,I have just returned from a
holiday
>in Adelaide and on the way back I had a look at the state of the stations
>along the way where there are any sort of towns and where the Overland
stops
>daily.
>Murray Bridge, Tailem Bend and Bordertown to name just a few are in a
shocking
>state of disrepair,with Tailem Bend the worst.
>In some places the platform is simply wearing away and there are holes and
>loose boards along the edge of the platform.

I'm not trying to justify it, but as the train goes through in the middle of
the night, people wouldn't see most of the deterioration (although I'm
concerned about the saftety aspects of holes in the platform).

>To any potential Rail traveller there is no indication anywhere that any
>passenger rail service even exists,no timetable info , nowhere to buy
tickets
>etc.

Most people use travel agents these days anyway - anyone in a small country
town is going to know where to get tickets from, and people NOT from the
town are likely to have onward tickets already, or be staying with people
who know.

>Part of the problem may be , and this would equally apply to Peterborough
>Station is that GSR may not own these stations , indeed apart from Keswick
>Terminal does GSR own any other stations,and if not now that AN is no
more,the
>stations may be owned by noone, hence the lack of any facilities / repairs
etc.
>At least the stations in Victoria seem in much better condition.

But there is a similar problem in Victoria - check out the standard gauge
platforms at Benalla and Wangaratta. Countrylink wont upgrade them, because
they are owned by V/Line - V/Line wont upgrade them, because they dont have
any trains stopping there.
Regards

David Proctor
daproc@bigfoot.com