Re: To :Great Southern Rail Management. a few comments

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) writes:
> In article <6e5lsr$b8p$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "David Proctor"
<daproc@bigfoot.com> writes:
> >From: "David Proctor" <daproc@bigfoot.com>
> >Subject: Re: To :Great Southern Rail Management.
> >Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:32:35 +1100
>
> >This is the second time this has been posted, and there weren't any adequate
>
> >I would imagine that a station which sees 4 trains a week (Sun, Wed to
> >Sydney, Tues, Fri to Adelaide) would HAVE to be a fairly spartan, minimalist
> >type of affair.
>
> >Regards
>
> >David Proctor
> >daproc@bigfoot.com

The reason ASR didn't respond may be they don't read this stuff.

The issue is "why don't the people of Peterborough go and talk to GSR"

The station building is boarded up, even the tunnel under the yard is in doubt,
because of vandalism, and obviously limited demand for the services DSV keeps
requesting.

If he believes its so viable, why does he not set up shop on the platform, and
sell drinks to the three people a month who may use the station (my sarcastic
estimate).

It is interesting to compare the fates of railway town like peterborough, Pirie
and Augusta.

Joys boot size is well known by fed pollies, both lib and labour, as a result
she has a town with an industry that is , well,  still there (i wouldn't say
booming, but who knows, at least she doesn't have a couple of big sheds working
as a pidgeon shit factory).

Pirie made a noise, and despite it all still has a little tiny bit of an
industry running trains from Broken Hill.

Peterborough didn't make a whimper. The last railway employee left the town last
year (he is no longer based AT Peterborough).(although an article in a sunday
paper about 10 years ago made the towns major attraction look like in my
opinion, a joke)

Peterborough's claim to fame is the highest rate of unemployment in the State,
if not the land,29%. Without the employment of the railways (whether social or
for profit) the town has gone nowhere but down. Its banks are cutting hours,
shops are roumoured to be cutting back, and house prices, well, sad.There is
only one source of reasonable numbers of jobs, the meatworks.

Ultimately, the Fate of Peterborough rests in the hands of its people, they can
work to pull themselves and their town up, or as per the post, can sit around
and wait for someone to come and help them.

Sorry to spit, but I am sick of people wanting others to solve their problems.

Nic