Re: Cityrail price increases

Chris Stratton wrote:

> It was reported on the WAVE FM news this morning that the IPART had
> rejected a 10% fare increase application from Cityrail. They only referred
> to the Illawarra but I assume the increases were planned across the board.
> --
> Chris Stratton
> Wollongong, NSW, Australia
> stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au
>
> Any opinions are all my own work.

There was an article in todays Sydney Morning Herald on that subject.
It stated CityRail had indeed lodged an application for an average 10%
fare increase (less for shorter distances, more for longer distances).
CityRail claimed the increases would lead to a 1% fall in patronage.

The government, while saying it supported increases "broadly in line
with inflation" (1 - 2%) certainly wasnt going out of it's way to oppose
the increase, and why should it, with State Rail overall starved for
funds, and user pays being a general government policy, the government
would be privately hopeing for any way to let the increase through if it
can minimise the resulting short term political damage.

With the next election not until early-mid 1999 anyway, that should be
enough time for most people to forget about the increase.

Personally, I would be happy to pay an extra 50% or more if I thought it
would be spent on maintaining and expanding rail services, rather than
going straight into consolidated revinue, and filtering througth to
subsidising private tollway projects that "don't cost the taxpayer a
cent"!!

Michael Edge
Sydney, Australia

email: medge@sia.net.au