Re: MORE SillyRail Gripes

Aidan Stanger wrote in message <199803040143111016872@ppp85.iweb.net.au>...

>I'd read the corrected version of your original posting, but thought 90%
>full meant 90% of SEATS full.

That is correct - seating capacity of an Endeavour is 187 - there were
approx. 160 people ex-Sydney.  17 alighted at Glenfield, and 5 boarded,
meaning there were approx. 143 people on board. 25 left the train at
Campbelltown, meaning that before anybody boarded, 118 people on board.

> What's the point of expressing loadings on
>this sort of service in terms of nominal crush capacity? If it's
>standing room only, say it's 110% (or whatever) full.

Who said anything about crush capacity - I said it was standing room only
ex-Campbelltown.

>> If every passenger ex Sydney was travelling to at least Macarthur, the
first
>> set-down station, the train would have only been 67% full - ample room
for
>> all of the passengers - as it turned out, the train was standing room
only
>> ex-Campbelltown,
>
>These statements contradict each other. I presume you mean it was
>standing room only UNTIL Campbelltown and 67% (whatever that is in
>meaningful terms) full ex-Campbelltown.

No - I meant exactly what I said - if everyone on the train ex-Sydney was
legal, there would have been only approx 120 people when it left Sydney -
approx. 67% of the SEATING capacity. It filled up at Campbelltown, and there
were people sitting in the vesitbules, in the bike rack area - everywhere in
fact.

>> and we did not manage to sit together until Moss Vale - as
>> we were going to Bundanoon, we did not manage to discuss various agenda
>> items for our planned meeting, as we had hoped to do on the train.
>
>You didn't say that in your earlier posting. I see your point, but even
>without those extra passengers at the start, there's no guarantee you'd
>be able to find two seats together.

Why not - I would imagine that in a train with 2+3 seating, that was only
67% full, there would be a pretty good chance of getting two seats together.

>Optional seat reservations would solve that problem,

Wouldnt work on this sort of service.

>and there's definately a case for increasing the
>frequency.

Couldn't agree with you more! - This seems to be the only thing we have
agreed on!

Regards

David Proctor
daproc@bigfoot.com