Re: Hmm

David Bromage wrote:
> What make of diesel alternator sets are in the PCPs, and what sort of
> output do they produce? My guess would be about 125kVA.

PCP D/A units are a Cummins ONAN P220 DFAC unit, assembled in South
Australia.  The diesel engine is a Cummins LTA-G3, 10 litre, 6 cylinders
(inline), four-stroke turbo, with direct injection.  Control is by a
Power Command Control Microprocessor.

Power rating is 250Kva.

Been bloody good those things - reliable, and have eliminated the
maintenance problems associated with the hypoid gearboxes and clutches
on the former axle driven cars.  Also means that if the train is
disabled somewhere, you've still got power.  BZ269 is the last 'self
powered' (i.e. clutch) car in the fleet - it's clutch was replaced last
week, so it'll stay that way for the time being.  That makes it handy
for use when PCP's are not available, in which case a train is made up
where BRS car D/A units are used to power themselves, plus one adjacent
carriage, plus BZ269 making up the set.  Carriage electrical systems are
an interesting topic in themselves, but that can wait for another day!

Cheers,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber