Re: Hmm

x-no-archive: yes

In our last episode <34F21B21.C16ED946@prentice.uq.edu.au> on Tue, 24 Feb
1998 00:58:09 +0000, Rob Kearey told aus.rail:

>I saw the Great Southern Express thing at Roma St the other night,
>coupled up to a shiny, new 2300. A friend of mine who lives by the
>Fisherman's Island branch swears upon a stack of grandmothers that
>when the thing went by, it sounded turbocharged. Any truth to this
>scurrilous rumour?

I saw it heading to Normanby at approx 14:00 Friday February 20, and it was
2301 -- the first loco converted for the "Maxi Overhaul Project" at
Redbank.  2301 was formerly 1564 and it now has a 2100-class cab, and yes
it is 'turbocharged'.

The GSPE (Great South Pacific Express / Great Stuff, Pretty Expensive) has
been around a number of places (testing), incliding F'man Islands on that
Friday.