Re: Cleveland trains turnaround

x-no-archive: yes

In our last episode <01bd4051$009a9020$78471fcb@default> on 23 Feb 1998
11:57:03 GMT, The Sims told aus.rail:

>My guess on where the ex Cleveland trains go and turn around after
>terminating at Bowen Hills is that somehow they enter the Mayne yards and
>either return to Bowen Hills and form the next Bowen Hills - Cleveland
>service or proceed down to Roma Street via the Exhibition line to form the
>Roma St - Shorncliffe Service.

It's the first (turn around to do another Cleveland service), unless it is
timetabled to do a few other northbound services (Mon-Fri peak ONLY) or to
do its Doomben-linked services (few and far between in comparison to the
number of Clev - City services).

Shorncliffe is linked to Corinda on the Ipswich corridor Monday to Friday
daytime off-peak.  All other times, Shorncliffe trains terminate at Roma
St, travel to and back from Normanby and do another Shorncliffe service (eg
Shclf -> Rma St arr 20:20 -> Normanby -> Rma St dep 20:49 -> Shclf, same
crew).  The Shornciffe trains often arrive on P9 Roma St as soon as it's
clear after the xx:01/xx:31 Caboolture services or others (Nambour etc)
using the platform/track.

However, some services have been seen to go onto and terminate at South
Brisbane, which makes a lot more sense than sitting at Normanby - Roma St
for nearly 30 mins.

>It used to be that Cleveland trains, prior to revised timetables continued
>thrrough to Shorncliffe,

This was the case prior to September 1995.

>or more recently to Caboolture.

This was the case between September 1995 to January 1997.

>My assumption is
>that this was stopped to avoid "gaps" in the new timetable.

It stopped because it didn't work (and because the Clev line has always
been planned to link to Doomben with the current timetable - see my
times, often as much as 20 mins.  The work on the standard guage line (to
F'man Islands) brought freight and coal onto the Clev line, which didn't
help.