Re: 4442-strange livery in 1971

Brian Dunn wrote in message <3594f5d3.1255940@newshost.pcug.org.au>...

>I have posted a picture in alt.binaries.pictures. rail of part of a
>photo I took while passing through Albury in March 1971. In those days
>you'd pop into Loco or snout around the yard to make sure there was
>still steam present.
>
>On this occasion I hopped out of the wrong side of the SOP and
>sprinted across to Albury Loco, snapped a picture of 5241 and sprinted
>back again to the Refresh Rooms to get tea and toast.
>
>It wasn't until I developed the film that I noticed the unusual livery
>on "some 44 on the next road".
>
>I never saw any more examples of that colour, which seems to be a
>variant of an American livery.
>
>The quality of the pic is poor, being a fpx file converted to jpg and
>then cropped. I should have just put the whole thing on (I may do
>that).
>
>Cheers.
>
>Brian

This brings back vague memories of seeing at least one non standard paint
job at Chullora around that time. The reason being that as it eliminated the
more complicated yellow striping and all the signal red striping it was
cheaper. Unfortunately it looked rotten. Although the main colour was
supposed to be tuscan red or indian red, it was most certainly brown on some
locos.

Is my memory correct?

Barry Campbell