Re: Melbourne to Darwin

In article <3592b667.0@139.134.5.33> "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com> writes:
>From: "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: Melbourne to Darwin
>Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:24:34 +1000

>I have to say, the can-do attitude of this newsgroup has seriously faded.

>How hard would it be to run a double stacked train through Sydney from south
>to north?

Irrespective of how hard it might be , the question that needs to be asked is
why would you want to do it.
If double stacked trains are to be run from south to north thru Sydney then
they must come from somewhere.
Currently anyway double stacked trains cant run basically anywhere on the main
southern line due to the tunnels between Picton and Goulburn , and they cant
get into melbournes Dynon terminal because of the Bunbury St tunnel.
they cant run east of Keswick due to the tunnels in the Adelaide hills , and
cant run north of Sydney to Brisbane due to all the tunnels between Sydney -
Maitland and on the Nth Coast line.
Sure it would be engineeringly possible to lower the floors in all the tunnels
but to what end .
The costs would be horrific, and even if the Feds or whoever had the money to
spend , it would be far more wisely spent simply fixing up the current
alignments.
Double stacking isnt needed until we hit the limit for train lengths and

cheers
MD