Re: Melbourne to Darwin

I have to say, the can-do attitude of this newsgroup has seriously faded.

How hard would it be to run a double stacked train through Sydney from south
to north?

You could plan the construction of increased clearances to be completed in
stages. For example, double stacking from Macarthur to Chullora is not that
hard. A new third track on the Up side following the Main South from
Macarthur (part is already complete) could be built to Cabramatta. A duck
under of the Main South could bring the new line alongside the Cabramatta -
Regents Park line. Which could then be extended all the way to Chullora
(with another duck under at Chullora?? Juntion).

Ben Staples