Re: New Hi Speed Train to replace prospector

Peter Parker wrote:

> telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) wrote:
>

> >Spot on there Nic.
> >I am sure WAGRC have been considering it, but why.?
>
> Have a look at where Eric Charlton's electorate is on a map and compare
> this with the route taken by the Prospector service.
>
> BTW - if the new train goes ahead, what will happen to the old train?
> Are Geraldton-Perth or Albany-Perth passenger services being considered?

Only problem is that these are narrow gauge lines, not standard as the rails
the prospector runs on.

> Or, is patronage/revenue unlikely to be less on these, compared to an
> extended Australind (to Busselton)?
>
> Peter

As somebody who is currently residing in Kalgoorlie, I think it's a case of
shutting the door after the horse has bolted.  Kalgoorlie is now served by
an average of 5 return daily air flights from Perth - probably about double
the number of passengers carried by the prospector.  Air fares are generally
about $190 - $250 based on advance purchase.  Time to travel by air is just
over an hour compared to the 6 hours of the express prospector and 7hours 20
of the usual service.  An improvement of 1 - 2 hours will not entice the
majority of air passengers back.  Coupled with the poor service reliability
and the aging trains results in only the people who can't afford the air
fare and who don't have a car being the main passengers - generally
concession fares.

Unfortunately there would seem little justification to spend the really big
sums to get a real fast service.  A population centre of 30 - 40,000 people
just won't cut it.   300,000 or more maybe.

Tim.