WL31 23JUN98

WL31 today (Tuesday 23 June, 1998) was missing a car, consisting of only three
carriages - from the country end, PHA, RDH, NDS, hauled by the normal 81 class
(didn't get the number but!)

I presume the same consist will apply to WL33 tomorrow and Thursday's WL34,
unless it picks up a car from Bathurst workshops or somewhere.

Just on this subject, I am amazed that Countrylink marshall this train the
way they do - the order of the carriages - PHA, RDH, NDS, NDS - is ostensibly
so that buffet staff do not have to carry stock from the nearby power car,
where it is kept, very far. However, all buffet staff I have spoken to say
that the buffet never has to be restocked en-route, apart from at the
terminals of Broken Hill and Orange.

The disadvantage of this consist is that people booked in the very end
carriage - the 2nd NDS - do not have the benefit of power doors, and have to
physically open 4 end-of-carriage doors and 3 vestibule doors, whilst at the
same time juggling the culinary delights obtained from the buffet! Placing
the RDH in the middle would reduce the number of doors that need to be opened
to 3 - which is better than 7 when you have hot coffee, etc. to contend with!

Hope this helps,

David "The Doctor" Proctor