Re: XPT radios

In article <01bd9e8c$6a843060$69f80fd2@robert-parnell> "Robert Parnell" <rparnell@netspace.net.au> writes:
>From: "Robert Parnell" <rparnell@netspace.net.au>
>Subject: XPT radios
>Date: 23 Jun 1998 09:49:02 GMT

>The XPT power cars are currently being fitted with sattelite equipment (a
>raised dome on the roof), as part of the CountryNet Train Radio system.
>This will enable radio coverage outside of the terrestrial areas, and
>basically 100% radio coverage across NSW.
>They are being fitted at Cardiff, but I have no info on their movements. A
>few have already been fitted.
>--
>Robert Parnell
>SRA-Railcom Technician, Electronics Enthusiast,
>Lachlan Valley Railway member,  NSW HO scale modeller
>E-mail:<rparnell@netspace.net.au>

Mobilesat phones most likely.
Will give them 100% coverage over all australia as a matter of fact.
Woudnt it be wonderful if all the rail systems did the same thing, ie put
mobilesat phones in their locos, then we would have a Australia wide radio
system that was common to all the systems , gad what am I saying,heresy.

cheers
MD