Re: Hillside trains buyers

In article <6mkg5p$ge2$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>, cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
(Christopher_Martin GORDON) wrote:

> : I still think privatising Public Transport is ridiculous. It is impossible
> : to create true competition, hence the whole system would be better off being
> : run the government.
>
> At least sell it as one system not splitting trains and trams into two,
> how long will it take till the same company owns Hillside and Bayside or
> Swanston and Yarra?

I guess to understand the government ideal behind splitting and selling is
to appreciate why they are doing it this way.  4 components of Met means 4
separate employers, 4 groups of employees, which immediately carves the
PTU metroplitan into 4 groups.
New employers come in to what is commonly referred to as a greenfields
site, that is, no starting point for pay & conditions.  They totally
ignore existing employment conditions and insist on starting from scratch
with individual contracts.
The company line is sign here or fuck off.

It has been done to ANR employees and it will happen to Met employees.

The whole government bent is towards union busting.  Ever since the PT
strike the weekend of the car GP, Herr Kennett swore he'd accelerate
privatisation to break the union.  He's almost there, and despite the fact
it will ruin a once great public transport system, he won't stop.

Sense has nothing to do with it.

--
Stuart Thyer  Suzuki Gs1000s
Photographer  University of Melbourne