Re: Low nose 48 class

MarkBau1 <markbau1@aol.com> wrote in article
<1998062105534600.BAA08563@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
> I've never had it satisfactorily explained to me why you have to do all
these
> ridiculous mods to shunt one man when you are using radio to shunt with.
If you
> are relying entirely on hand signals I can sort of understand but when
using
> radio?

 Mark
         I have been shunting with Radio for over 12 months, at both
Melbourne Yards and at Wodonga. The problems are very real.
Cold days and shunters wear gloves, cant feel the button....no message!
Now they talk us in....6X....5X......4X..........3X.......2X..........1X
Ease Up.....
10 feet    Red Light!....Ok Driver up the outher end of the yard and into 5
road
etc etc
Of course the radio chatter is constant, and each crew has seperate
channels.
Admin people keep butting in......"Milos wants you now, VQOS etc etc.."
The radios were pretty good for the first 12 months, now they 'aint!'
The driver [s] are still responsible for what goes on around the Engine,
and
mirrors and extra windows, and in NSW low hoods are a necessary alteration.
At Wodonga we shunt over Kelly St., to work Uncle Bens, and the Cars tend
to shoot accross even with lights and Bells. The BG pass will get another
one soon!
                     Rod Young