Re: Just an idea? Plans for an South-Eastern Suburbs Freight Intermodal Centre.

Ben Staples <BenKim@bigpond.com> wrote in article
<358c5b56.0@139.134.5.33>...

> Barry Campbell wrote in message <6mgjhp$jpl$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
> *SNIP*
> <'nother snip>
> >
> Moree is another example. QR wants to convert some SG to NG. This is an
> absolute farce. It should be the other way around, NG to SG. QR is just a
> government fund injected little pretentious parasite living off
government
> subsidies and a captured market. QR needs to get a life. All new freight
> track in Australia being built should be to double stack standard gauge.
> Aren't we trying to get rid of the gauge problem, not promote it.
>
> A very standard Ben Staples
> Graduate Civil Engineer
> RSA Metro North

Hoooo Boy.  This is definitely red-flag-to-a-bull territory.  It will be
interesting to see
what replies you get, Ben.

I do like your single sentence summation of QR.  I have heard QR being
called many
things (mostly by QR employees), but "government fund injected pretentious
little parasite" is a newie.  I wonder if we can fit it on the sides of our
locos?
Also, in the Moree case, I think that "precocious" might be a better word.

But what is so magical about 4' 8 1/2"?  If the standard width of a Roman
chariot had been 3' 6", wouldn't this be an entirely different
conversation?  South Africa has got on just fine with 3' 6", thank you, and
if memory serves, the Dona Teresa Christina coal-hauling railways in Brazil
are only meter gauge - 6.7cm shy of QR's gauge.

JohnMcCandless
johnmc@topend.com.au