Re: Guard - City Rail - He Set The Standard!

Paul Jones wrote:

> I rember last time i went to newcastle the guard did the same as you
> mentioned, but he also gave an update of the cricket every 1/2 hr too!!!!
>
> --
> Paul Jones
>
> David wrote in message <6ma3af$sp0$1@nswpull.telstra.net>...
> >The City Rail guard on the 6:10am train from East Hills to the City this
> >morning, (Thursday 18Jun98), set the standard to which all City Rail guards
> >should aspire. His announcements as to the trains stopping points at every
> >stop were superb.

The guard on my peak hour Down Shore trip this morning also showed a bit
of flair. We paused at Waverton for what was obviously a minor
electrical problem (also happened on the Bridge). Our guard explained in
quite good humour after we were under away again that the reason for our
delay was that the driver had to reset the power otherwise we would have
had to volunteer to push the train up the hill !

Nice to see these reports of guards being responsive to the moment and
a  little entertaining  as well.

My prize though goes to the guard on an Up Shore evening peak service
about a year ago who after departing St Leonards announced that for the
information of the passenger who held the train up by standing half on
the train and half on the platform waiting for a friend to catch up,
that "this is a train - not a taxi - and it runs to a timetable".

Cheers
John