Re: Overland idea

David Bromage <dbromage@metz.une.edu.au> wrote in article
<6ldcdp$pj$1@gruvel.une.edu.au>...
> The recent debate a Overland made me think about the only valid overseas
> comparison. It has always been compared with Europe, however I think it
> should be compared with Amtrak. Some Adelaide-Melbourne services would
> become through cars to/from other services, with the current service
> filling in on other nights
>

> One new feature is the possibility of weekend tour packages leaving
either
> capital on Friday night and returning in daylight on Sunday.
>
> Cheers
> David

Whilst I think your idea is an excellent one, I don't think the concept
relates to Amtrak's current policies.  Amtrak has moved away from operating
trains on certain days of the week only to having them run seven days a
week or not at all, over the last year or two.  I think a lot of the
problem they had was of their own making when they changed their timetables
around - e.g a train which left Los Angeles on Tuesdays was changed to
Wednesdays.

The concept should work well here - particularly with the package tour
market.  On the down side is the Asian economic crisis, our tourism from
the North has dropped off and Countrylink are feeling the pinch.  We really
should be getting out there and making up for the downturn by marketing
heavily in the countries with strong currencies - ie Europe and North
America, a visit to Australia is now dirt cheap for residents of these
areas.  It's now up to GSR to make the best use of their equipment and  to
get out there and market their services.

David Bennetts
Canberra