Re: Overland idea

Melbourne - Adelaide must be thought of as an intercity route, not an
inbound-tourist route.  Hence the trains must match the buses and airlines:
daily predictable schedules at useful times.  Personally, I want to be able
to go to Adelaide or Sydney after work on Friday for an event on Saturday
or Sunday or both, and be back at work (in a fit condition) on Monday.
Anything after 7.30 Monday (even if absolutely reliable) is too late: 7.00
is better, and allows a slight margin for unreliability.  I believe that
most of the vfr market (visiting friends and relatives = parties,
anniversaries, weddings, funerals) is similar.
--
Regards
Roderick Smith