Re: Plastic Metcard Weekly Ticket

David Goll <golldm@nabaus.com.au> wrote:

>It seems odd. The only "plastic" MetCards to be issued (the last I
>heard) were the proximity cards for Yearly users, and disabled users.
>All other tickets were supposedly to be of the current paper type. I
>agree with you on the bending aspects, which is why I'm only buying
>weeklies instead of monthlies - I dont trust 'em for that long.

In Sydney, we have (plastic?) half-yearly and yearly tickets
("Travelpasses"), magnetically-encoded.  A colleague who bought one
discovered that the encoding could become corrupted, rendering the
ticket useless for operating ticket machines.  For the last 8 months
of his yearly ticket period, he had to seek assistance from ticket
staff to get through turnstiles at the ferry terminii and train
stations, and always had to enter into protracted negotiations with
bus-drivers before he would be accepted as a bona fide passenger.  The
transit authority refised to replace the damaged ticket, bu were happy
to advise that he should explain his predicament to staff every time
he used his ticket.

He didn't think it very satisfactory

Geoff Lambert