Re: Trying to recall train book title

pblair@email.dot.gov.au (Paul Blair) wrote:

>I believe the titles were something like "Hoyle's Book of Trains" and
>a similar title for planes. They were printed in the UK.

Is it possible they were "Foyle's", rather than "Hoyle's"?  Foyle's
(W&G. Foyle) claims to be the largest bookstore in the world.  They
are in London.  They published a series of handbooks in the 1950's.
They did publish a steam locomotive handbook, but this was in 1962.
This is the New York Public Library's catalogue entry for it.

 AUTHOR       Carter, Ernest Frank, 1899-
 TITLE        British steam locomotives.
 IMPRINT      London, Foyle [1962]
 DESCRIPT     92 p. illus. 19 cm.
 SERIES       Foyles handbooks.

Carter wrote a number of other books on transport, including cars and
model railways.  I actually think I possessed one of the latter once.

It is possible that your book was an earlier version of the above

However, a cursory search shows no book titles with "Hoyle's/Foyle's"
<AND>  "trains" on a number of bookstores (including Amazon, as
mentioned by another respondent) and libraries, even with a
comprehensive search engine.

Geoff Lambert