Fast rail link

The idea of a VFT or intercity fast rail link is great. It is exactly what
is needed between major cities on the east coast to revitalise the rail
travel industry. However, are we really expected to 'consider' the maglev
proposal? The amount of power that these things use in practice is
incredible... and this cost would have to be passed onto ticket holders,
surely. Not only that, as has been said previously, the magnetic fields
generated would have to be a worry. A far better option would be a high
speed train on conventional track, but on a separate right of way from
existing trains.
  A high speed train will be useful between Canberra and Sydney, but to be
cost efficient in its second stage, Wollongong and Newcastle would have to
be included, before being extended to Brisbane and Melbourne.
  Heavy rail seems to be a ugly word in the minds of politicians these
days, and light rail seems to be the go. Even in terms of existing
infrastructure (as a transport engineering student I've just finished
writing a paper on retaining the heavy rail line in Newcastle city). But
this is definitely the way to go, both cost-wise and in terms of
environmental impact and passenger use.