Re: Carl Scully announcement

Matthew Clements wrote in message <35B6EC50.9F37E69C@netspace.net.au>...
>David Bromage wrote:
>
>> Greg Nicholls (nicholls.gregory.gj@bhp.com.au) wrote:
>> > I heard on Radio Illawarra ABC FM yesterday that Carl Scully is
starting
>> > an investigation into the possibility of opening current unused brach
>> > lines in NSW.
>>
>> And Silverton was investigating the same thing how many years ago? :)

Silverton
>was not the only operator to express an interest in the re-opening of
country
>branch lines, and in fact we were the preferred proponent for further
>negotiations on some lines until the process was abandoned in late 1994.
>
>Matthew.
>
>--
>Matthew Clements - Project Manager - The Silverton Tramway Company Limited
>Phone: (03) 9592 1364
>Fax: (03) 9593 2194
>Email: mattc@silverton.net.au

And in North Queensland last year myself and a partner were selected by Qld
Rail as the preferred operators of a reintroduced Cairns - Forsayth rail
service. Then early this year Qld Transport got involved and instructed Qld
Rail to operate the service themselves.
Despite the expenditure of five million dollars over the past twelve months
on track repairs, no train operates over most of this line.
The new government is unlikely to support the reintroduction of this service
and I think the previous government really only spent the money on track
restoration as a desperate vote buying exercise.
David Ryder Ph 07 40976004
daver@fastinternet.net.au