Re: Locotrol

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:25:24 +1000, Barry Campbell wrote:

>Tell wrote in message <6p0t1f$ol0$2@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...
>>"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>>Or for similar but smaller circumstances visit QR's Goonyella system in
>>>Central Queensland.
>>
>>Ah yes, very impressive for narrow gauge.  It proves no
>>matter what the distance is between the rails, if it is
>>designed and constructed properly it can really move
>>tonnage and QR do that very well.
>>
>>Some of the sugar cane lines are quite impressive too.
>>
>Yes, and this is why I say the Mackay area is *the* spot for railfans to
>visit.

The Goonyella system (that's the one which goes to Hay Point, yes?)
was sensational in the 70s, with "six header" diesel hauled trains,
three at the front, and three half way back.  These days with electric
locos it is very efficient, but not quite as spectacular IMHO.

But ... the cane railways are something else altogether - great stuff.
Go there and check it out for yourself....

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html