Re: Mistakes of 100 years ago

Tell wrote:

> mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
> >The staggering thing about the initial guage stuffup 100 years ago was that it
> >wasnt then viewed as a mistake, it was simply each state doing its own thing
> >as the States are entitled to do and still are doing.
> >The calibre of the politicians then and the politicians now isnt any differant
> >, in fact some would infer that current politicians cant get any worse.
> >The VFT project is being pushed as a "stand alone project" which means that it
> >doesnt have to be compatible with anything else.
> >Of course , anyone with this sort of blinkered thinking needs rocks in their
> >head, but whats changed.
> >We still dont have any sort of National Rail Policy.
> >Dont be surprised if the loading guage of the VFT isnt compatible with
> >anything else in Australia which means that nothing else will be able to run
> >on its tracks.
> >In another 100 years , our ancestors will be saying , how could such a stuffup
> >have occurred?
>
> The real answer is to abolish State Governments, I kid
> you not, there have been suggestions like this in the
> past, forget the abolition of the Senate, just get rid
> of State Governments.  Think of the savings to us long
> suffering tax payers, just for starters.
>
> We could have a Central Government in Canberra and the
> present Local Government infrastructure to carry out
> most of the functions of the present State Governments.
> The Senate could then become a TRUE State house instead
> of that political mockery that it is.
> Problem is, ......some people would call it Communism.
>
> Australia, the most over governed country in the World.
>
> Cheers
>
> ----Terry Burton
> Alice Springs NT

  Hi all,

  Well I didn't think that my first post here would be about Governments
& not rail but here goes!!

 Get rid of local government & let the state governments be more
subjective to the federal government. Take education, health, transport
& emergency services away from the states & put them in the hands of the
federal parliament. This would I hope make them the same Australia wide
& not different from state to state. Just think one standard guage
throughout Australia( with the exception of some narrow guages)& not
just the national guage. What a great pipe dream. :-)

  BTW I've enjoyed lurking for the last couple months & hope to have
some limited input to general NSW rail topics even if my knowledge of
Australian rail matters is pretty poor.

  All the best:   Shane