Re: Mistakes of 100 years ago

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
>The staggering thing about the initial guage stuffup 100 years ago was that it
>wasnt then viewed as a mistake, it was simply each state doing its own thing
>as the States are entitled to do and still are doing.
>The calibre of the politicians then and the politicians now isnt any differant
>, in fact some would infer that current politicians cant get any worse.
>The VFT project is being pushed as a "stand alone project" which means that it
>doesnt have to be compatible with anything else.
>Of course , anyone with this sort of blinkered thinking needs rocks in their
>head, but whats changed.
>We still dont have any sort of National Rail Policy.
>Dont be surprised if the loading guage of the VFT isnt compatible with
>anything else in Australia which means that nothing else will be able to run
>on its tracks.
>In another 100 years , our ancestors will be saying , how could such a stuffup
>have occurred?

The real answer is to abolish State Governments, I kid
you not, there have been suggestions like this in the
past, forget the abolition of the Senate, just get rid
of State Governments.  Think of the savings to us long
suffering tax payers, just for starters.

We could have a Central Government in Canberra and the
present Local Government infrastructure to carry out
most of the functions of the present State Governments.
The Senate could then become a TRUE State house instead
of that political mockery that it is.
Problem is, ......some people would call it Communism.

Australia, the most over governed country in the World.

Cheers

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT