Re: Sydney-Adelaide services

Lachlan Smith wrote in message <01bdb515$1da90a00$06ed38cb@default>...
>Does anyone know if Countrylink (or anyone for that matter) have ever
>considered a direct Sydney-Adelaide service? They already have a regular
>Sydney-Broken Hill service (how can this be viable?), and seeing as Broken
>Hill is literally 3 quarters of the way to Adelaide, it would seem sensible
>to extend this service all the way through. It would also receive patronage
>from Adelaide-Broken Hill passengers, (up until the 1980's, AN operated
>regular services Adelaide-Broken Hill, but they of course killed this off
>with all other SA country rail services).

>From memory, AN actually revived the services from Adelaide to BH. When I
worked there in 1978-79 the IP with a Bluebird connection from Peterborough
was the only service provided. I don't have a map with me but I would guess
that a service through the  south west of NSW would probably be more viable
and the railway line in that direction never went past Hay towards Adelaide
as was planned so the traffic is left to the roads.

Barry Campbell