Re: Push-pull

: >Apart from the situations listed below, and as well as EMU's/DMU's, can any
: >reader think of any other situations where Australian or New Zealand rail
: >operators use a system of "push-pull" (sometimes also referred to as "top
: and
: >tail".
: >
: >The ones that readily came to my mind were:
: >(b) some of what I will call the Outer Suburban / InterUrban passenger
: traffic
: >(notably on the Bendigo line (e.g. Kyneton), Seymour, and Bacchus Marsh)
: running
: >around Melbourne, where there was two three-car sets (from memory, "H'
: sets)
: >combined into one six-car set, with a P-class on either end (I think that
: there
: >was a variation whereby the sets were joined, such that the second loco was
: in
: >the middle of the train) - I believe that the reason for this working
: related to
: >the HEP equipment, and the fact that the equipment in a single P-class was
: >inadequate to supply the necessary power etc to all six cars;

Back in the late 1980's the PTc (victoria) were upgrading all overhead
Just about every night they had some line closed with overhead works.

Instead of buses they mostly used Push - Pull trains.  With P classes
and H sets.

I caught one from Burnley to Box Hill one night.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord